Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Traces

I associate certain periods of time with certain music. I know this is nothing new, but here are some examples:

Fall 2004 (Cordoba)
* Green Day, American Idiot - Debby bought this bootleg in Granada for me. Thanks! This album is awesome, I'm still listening to it. "Jesus of Suburbia" and "Holiday" don't get old.
* U2, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb - I waited all semester for this to come out and bought it the day it came out at the Corte Ingles in Cordoba.
* Keane, Hopes and Fears - Bought it with the U2 CD... I wasted a lot of euros that day.
* Eminem, Encore - I know I got this one bootleg, too, but I forget where: Madrid or Granada. I'm glad I didn't pay full price.
* There was also a lot listening to Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock

Summer 2005 (Kennesaw)
Common's Be and Coldplay's X & Y came out. They remind me of driving home from Zaxby's on really humid nights after working at that hellhole. Summer is always a weird time for me for some reason. What sticks out for me is that July 4th (sorta.. a day or two before) party I went to with Ian and Alex down at some house near Georgia Tech. Remember, put the phone down when you're drunk! You can't go wrong with that lesson.

Wooster 2005-06 (The Woo)
During the fall, what really sticks with me is "Gold Digger" and listening to Late Registration a lot. I don't listen to it too much anymore, but it's still a great CD. Kanye West is a genius.

I bought a lot of CDs this last semester for some reason. A lot of that has to do with my Limewire not working at school (bastards), but I did download "Crazy" by Gnarls on a whim on spring break at home. That song still blows me away. I was disappointed by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs (maybe half the album is good), The Strokes get the shaft with critics for some reason, and Fishscale by Ghostface has some amazing tracks. And T.I. is easily the best Atlanta rapper since Outkast. "What You Know" is my favorite rap song in the last year. I felt like such a hick listening to T.I. and Ghostface driving around Wooster.

A definite plus of living next to Tim for a whole year is all the indie music. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Arcade Fire, some Modest Mouse, Bloc Party (!!), Spoon. I also copied the Sufjan Stevens CD from Smizell via Sarah Kenney, which was a good move on my part, sometime in December. Illinois is good driving music. It's long and has a big sound w/ lots of instruments. I haven't listened to it for a while, but the Little Miss Sunshine trailer (new movie w/ Steve Carell and Greg Kinnear) uses "Chicago" and reminded me how good Illinoize (Come on and feel it!) is. That Sufjan is wacky.

I still want to post what I'm listening to this summer. Let's just say one song involves a not-so-veiled reference to Steve Nash.

2 Comments:

At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OR Dirk Norwitisky!

 
At 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home