Saturday, January 12, 2008

Year 2

Well, I don't really know what I'm gonna be doing at post when I finally get back, but here a few ideas, work-related and not-so-much.

Work
  • Continuation of the aforementioned ACMS project, but that will probably be mostly on ACMS. It will depend on if they can get their ish together or not. I want to do a malaria sensibilisation (French word without a direct English translation - kinda like a program of lessons, I guess.) before the rainy season starts April/May-ish, but it would be preferable to do one if mosquito nets are readily available. (They're currently not.) ACMS' exists in part to make health-related products like mosquito nets available, so let's see if they can.
  • School project - Hopefully the mayor will pull through
  • Random stuff - I'll probably go back to a different elementary school and do the same health presentations I did a few months ago. At the catholic mission, one of the nuns - an Indian - wants to hold English classes for kids, so I might help with that. I'll have to see her and see if she still wants to do it. And other than that, I have no clue what I want to do.

Not-so-much

Here is where things are a little bit up in the air, but not too, too much. Here's a timeline and a rough guide to non-PC work:

February - VAC meeting (PCVs in each province get together and bitch about something, then someone reports it the country director) up in Guider. I'll probably go visit another PCV's post that's the most remote in the province.

Late March through May - Hot season. I will be in front of the fan and the air conditioner. It will not be pleasant. (120 degree highs)

April - I'll probably go up to the Extreme North, more than likely the western part, and see some friends' posts and maybe Rhumsiki, a tourist trap. Bike riding might be happening, we'll see.

April/May - Rainy season starts, school ends, work grinds to a halt. Temperature goes down, so that's a plus.

August - Possible vacation to Tanzania (Kenya's on hold). COS conference in Yaounde, where I find out when I go home.

September - December - Shutting things down at post.

Sometime in December - Home sweet home.

Meanwhile, I'll be studying for the GREs and deciding what I want to do with my life post-PC besides Netflix. Right now, here's my plan: Come home, take the GREs in the first couple months back, find a job. Also, I'll be looking into what kind of grad program, if any, I'd want to do. I'm thinking about public policy because it seems like a practical degree (I might get a job with it) for a social science, specifically politics. Peace Corps has a program, Peace Corps Fellows, that gives benefits to RPCVs (Returned PCVs) who are enrolled in specific programs at participating universities. I'd apply to grad schools for Fall 2010 entrance, which seems so far away I can't really imagine it, but that's the way the application process works at some of the schools I've looked at. The job search would be for something somehow related to public policy work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home