Sunday, September 17, 2006

Wahahaho

I was watching Austin City Limits last night because they were replaying an episode that featured The Pixies, and wow, two things:

1) The Pixies are really fucking good. I wish I'd gotten into them sooner than in the past year. They are a pretty crazy band. Odd lyrics, nice melodies, some badass guitar riffs. And their songs are way too short, which probably adds to the appeal. My favorite song of theirs is "Debaser", the first track off of Doolittle, not too risky of a choice for my fav Pixies song, but at least it isn't "Here Comes Your Man" or "Where is my Mind". The song ("Debaser") is based on an old French movie called Un chien andalou from 1929 by Luis Bunuel and Salvador Dali where, wouldn't you know it, they're slicin' up eyeballs wahahaho (this tidbit is from the Wikipedia site about the song). I just love it when Frank Black screams, "I am un chien adalusia".

2) Austin City Limits is a great show, but I think its time slot (midnight Saturday/Sunday night here in Atlanta) makes the show even better. If you're bored at home on Saturday night, you know you're going to get an interesting show on ACL or at least something that doesn't suck too bad. It attracts some big names now, but it still has that ever elusive indie cred up the wazoo. The show has even manifested itself into a huge music festival.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home