Tuesday, September 26, 2006

PC - Packing List

Well, I pretty much just finished packing all my crap by 9 PM tonight. By "I", I mean my mom did most of the packing, let's be honest. I came in 15 pounds under the 80 pound weight limit, not counting my backpack, which is my carry-on. I'm going to guess now, my most useless items will be: jeans, discman, flip-flops, fleece.

I think I remembered just about everything, so here it is:

Luggage
2 Suitcases (24 x 13 x 13, or around there)
My backpack I’ve had since high school (LL Bean backpacks are the shit)
Staaf Sails green duffel bag – packed in one of the suitcases

Things That Require Electricity/Batteries
Shortwave radio
Converter, Adapter
Digital Camera
Extra memory card (512 MB) for camera
A couple throwaway cameras for backup
Reading lamp (Thanks Emma!)
Mini-speakers
Flashlight
Ipod and all it comes with
Discman, random cds, blank cds (backup in case the ipod is fried/stolen)
Digital alarm clock
Battery charger, rechargeable batteries, regular batteries

Seemingly Useful Things
Duct tape
Swiss Army knife, Gerber multi-plier
Packtowl (super absorbent camping towel)
Nalgene
Passport/money neck pouch
Carabiner (hopefully it'll find a use)
Kitchen knife, non-stick frying pan

Misc.
Pens, pencils
2 spiral notebooks
2007 wall calendar
Stamps, envelopes
Wooster stationary
Deck of cards
Uno cards
Frisbee
Kool-Aid (to flavor the water)

Clothes
3 Polos
4 T-shirts
1 Dress shirt
A lot of underwear and socks
2 pairs of pants
1 pair of jeans
Shoes
- My blue New Balances
- Columbia hiking shoes
- Tevas
- Dress shoes (also waterproof)
- flip-flops
Tie
Fleece
Rain jacket

Books
Homage to Catalonia – George Orwell
Dark Star Safari – Paul Theroux (Thanks Uncle Bobby!)
Travels with Charley – John Steinbeck
Me Talk Pretty One Day – David Sedaris
Living on the Edge: Fiction by Peace Corps Writers – John Coyne, ed. (Thanks Emma!)
Peace Corps Volunteer Handbook – some bureaucrats
The Peace Corps Welcomes You To Cameroon – PC intro booklet to Cameroon
Lonely Planet West Africa guide

Gifts – Homestay Family
Yellow Wooster t-shirt
Youth Falcons hat
Atlanta calendar

Toiletries*
2 Toothbrushes
Some American toothpase
Floss
Bar of soap
Deodorant
2 bottles of hand sanitizer
About 6 months of contacts, solution
2 pairs of glasses (PC rule), Rx sunglasses, crappy crap shades
Tylenol
Etc., etc.
* The PC gives us a whole box of toiletries when we get in country

1 Comments:

At 5:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you did well! Let me know the one thing you desperately wish you'd brought and it'll be on the way (as long as it's light-weight mind you!). I'm still waiting for a package sent August 5, so I don't know about this African mail service. Weird to think we're on the same continent! Hey, is it so hot in Cameroon you just want to keel over and die? Hope not!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home